February 1, 2021
The App Store is a safe and sound and reliable spot for customers to learn and obtain applications, and a great chance for developers. The App Store Critique Guideline variations and clarifications aid new functions in impending OS releases, far better secure customers, and enable your applications go as a result of the critique course of action as effortlessly as probable. Review the updates underneath. Remember to take note that all new applications and app updates submitted to the App Store need to follow the revised guideline 5.1.2(i) by early spring 2021.
- 1.4.3: Clarified the prohibition of promoting selected substances: “Apps that motivate intake of tobacco and vape solutions, illegal medications, or too much amounts of liquor are not permitted on the App Store. Apps that inspire minors to consume any of these substances will be rejected. Facilitating the sale of controlled substances (except for accredited pharmacies), cannabis, or tobacco is not authorized.”
- 2.3: Clarified the details that should accurately reflect the app’s core expertise: “Customers really should know what they are receiving when they download or acquire your app, so make guaranteed all your application metadata, which includes privateness information and facts, your application description, screenshots, and previews precisely reflect the app’s core knowledge and remember to hold them up-to-day with new variations.”
- 2.3.7: Clarified what metadata shouldn’t contain: “Choose a one of a kind app name, assign keywords that precisely describe your application, and really do not try to pack any of your metadata with trademarked conditions, well-known app names, pricing info, or other irrelevant phrases just to match the system. Application names should be limited to 30 figures. Metadata these kinds of as app names, subtitles, screenshots, and previews need to not include charges, phrases, or descriptions that are not unique to the metadata form. App subtitles are a good way to deliver added context for your app they should stick to our common metadata policies and need to not include things like inappropriate content, reference other applications, or make unverifiable products promises. Apple could modify inappropriate key terms at any time or consider other proper measures to stop abuse.”
- 2.4.5(viii): Taken out Rosetta as an case in point: “Apps should really operate on the at present shipping and delivery OS and may possibly not use deprecated or optionally set up systems (e.g., Java).”
- 3.1.1: Clarified that these products need to be marketed through in-application invest in: “Gift playing cards, certificates, vouchers, and coupon codes which can be redeemed for electronic items or providers can only be bought in your app making use of in-app acquire.”
- 3.1.1: Clarified how applications can permit prospects to “tip” builders: “Apps may use in-application obtain currencies to enable clients to “tip” the developer or electronic content providers in the app.”
- 3.1.1: Deleted: “Remember to assign the suitable purchasability sort or your application will be turned down.”
- 3.1.2(a): Clarified how particular game titles can provide a subscription throughout 3rd-party applications and products and services: “Games presented in a streaming sport company membership may possibly offer you a single subscription that is shared across 3rd-social gathering apps and expert services having said that, they have to be downloaded specifically from the App Store, ought to be built to keep away from replicate payment by a subscriber, and should really not downside non-subscriber clients.”
- 3.1.3(c): Clarified what organization users can accessibility and what order strategies they can use: “Enterprise Solutions: If your app is only sold right by you to organizations or groups for their employees or students (for example qualified databases and classroom administration resources), you might let business end users to accessibility earlier-acquired articles or subscriptions. Client, single person, or relatives gross sales have to use in-application buy.”
- 3.1.3(d): Improved terminology from “person-to-particular person experiences” to “person-to-person services” to explain that providers supplied by one personal to an additional are in scope: “If your application allows the acquire of realtime individual-to-individual providers amongst two people today (for case in point tutoring college students, medical consultations, authentic estate excursions, or health and fitness coaching), you may perhaps use obtain procedures other than in-application order to gather people payments. One particular-to-number of and 1-to-lots of realtime products and services ought to use in-application purchase.”
- 3.2.1(viii): Clarified who can generate applications for these solutions. Eliminated alternative to use a general public API: “Apps made use of for financial investing, investing, or money administration need to come from the money establishment executing such products and services.”
- 3.2.2(ix): Eliminated duplicative section relating to forcing buyers to execute actions, which is completely covered by 3.2.2(vi) renumbered former 3.2.2(x).
- 4.2.3(iii): Clarified the data that sure apps need to disclose: “If your application desires to down load supplemental means in buy to purpose on original start, disclose the dimensions of the obtain and prompt users right before undertaking so.”
- 5.1.1(ix): Clarified that gambling is a closely-regulated area in scope: “Apps that provide providers in really-regulated fields (these as banking and money providers, health care, gambling and air journey) or that require delicate user info really should be submitted by a legal entity that supplies the expert services, and not by an personal developer.”
- 5.1.2(i): Added: “You should obtain express permission from people by means of the App Monitoring Transparency APIs to track their activity. Understand extra about tracking.”
- Soon after You Submit: Reordered the paragraph describing appeals for clarity.
Examine the App Store Overview Tips